I saw a tweet about a month ago about a documentary called "Dark Girls." I was busy at the time, so I emailed myself the tweet and planned on checking out the video later. Later ended up being tonight and "WOW." This documentary is deep.
I've always been a chocolate girl and struggled with accepting and appreciating my skin tone. Til this day, I take offense when someone calls me "Dark" and its an easy way to piss me off. During the summertime while all my friends are soaking up the sun, trying to tan, I'm lathering on 70 SPF sunblock and a big hat, trying to avoid the sun. I recently found 100 SPF sunblock and plan to invest in that soon. I hate the sun. I don't know if its because of the teasing or smart remarks people have said to me about my skin color or because I just hate being hot. Its probably 50/50.
Dark Girls is a documentary that explores the biases based on skin color. Apparently the filmmaker are trying to raise the necessary funds to finish the film and present it at the Nashville Film Festival in October of this year. If you want to donate to the film, please visit this site.
Check out the preview of the documentary below.
Dark Girls: Preview from Bradinn French on Vimeo.











No comments:
Post a Comment